Friday, May 1, 2009

Diet and Exercise

Since October I've been working really hard to lose weight. I developed "runner's knee" last summer and the amazing thing is a runner I am not! Unless of course you count running between the ironing board and my sewing machine. Uh, there's about a foot of space between them. Anyway, I went to the doctor, he prescribed meds, sent me to PT and I was to use a cane. PT did wonders and my wonderful therapist didn't even suggest I lose weight to help the knee. But everyone knows the more weight you carry the harder it is on the joints so I started dieting. I am a Weight Watchers alumni (became a life time member back in the late 80's) but as you've probably guessed by now, I sort of fell off the eat right wagon. But I did go back to what I had learned in WW, and that meant writing everything down, counting and measuring. I also started exercising. My routine now consists of yoga and walking. I do two different yoga programs. One is Kurt Johnsen's Yoga for Life on the Veria channel and the other one is Deni Preston's Total Body Workout on the BYU channel. I have been doing yoga for about a year and a half now and love it! Not only for a firmer and more limber body but I also needed to improve my balance. Don't want to be one of the those little old ladies who fall and break a hip. Both programs are great and focus on different things depending on the day. On the days I don't yoga I walk using one of Leslie Sansone's programs. We can get them on demand through FIT tv for free. Right now I'm doing her Heart Association's Start Walking 3 mile program. I get too bored just out walking around the neighborhood. Leslie keeps things interesting and although I've seen the show a lot of times I never get bored with her. So anyway, since October I've lost 50 pounds! I got out clothes for this summer I hadn't been able to get into for ever. And I also have noticed when I grocery shop I am now shopping the outer fringes of the store. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies and very little processed foods. I'm also experimenting with new things I've never tried before. And with that said here's a great no bake granola bar recipe using agave syrup (something new I discovered). NO BAKE GRANOLA BARS 2 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal 2 cups uncooked quick oats 1/2 cup yellow raisins 1/2 cup brown sugar substitute 1/2 cup agave syrup 1/2 cup peanut butter 1 tsp vanilla 2 tsp cinnamon In large bowl mix cereal, oats and raisins. Bring brown sugar substitute and agave to a boil stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over ceral mixture, stir till coated. Press into a 13x9 inch pan and cool. Cut into 16 bars. 140 cal. each. till next time.....

    9 comments:

    1. GOOD FOR YOU :)
      That is what I need to do. Your granola bars sound really good, I think I may have to try those.
      Prayers, Bo

      ReplyDelete
    2. They are pretty tasty. You can find Agave in the syrup aisle at Walmart. And I can't stress enough how much the yoga has done for me. My balance was terrible but the yoga postures have really helped.
      karen

      ReplyDelete
    3. WOW! 50 pounds! Congratulations! I don't know anything about dieting....never had to. But "all of a sudden" I find I need to lose 25 pounds to be at my normal comfortable weight! You've inspired me to dig out my old Yoga tapes and get back to eating better. Maybe I should try that writing everything down too. Not sure if we get Fit TV or the others you mentioned, but the tapes should give me a start.
      Again, congratulations and good luck with healing that knee.
      Eileen S
      WA

      ReplyDelete
    4. I wanted to let you know I recieved my package today.
      THANK YOU, it is all very lovely.
      Prayers, Bo

      ReplyDelete
    5. Good luck on the yoga Eileen! Let us know how you're doing!
      grandma chicken

      ReplyDelete
    6. Pete, thanks for reading. Love ya kiddo!
      your ma

      ReplyDelete
    7. I just have to say, What a great example you are to all around you!! Keep it up!!! I happened upon your blog and I just had to comment!! Many blessings!!
      Deni Preston

      ReplyDelete
    8. You are such an inspiration! I need to lose weight badly...Have osteo-arthritis in my knees! 50 pounds since Oct. is amazing!

      ReplyDelete