Friday, March 20, 2009

Time Flies When You're Having Fun.

This has been such a busy, busy week. I can't believe it's Friday already!
Finally my Rocky Road to Kansas quilt top is finished and is at Lisa O's--my longarm quilter--as we speak. I can't wait to see what she does with it! I will make sure and post a picture after it's quilted so you can see her lovely handiwork.
Here in NE Indiana we have had lovely spring weather and besides getting my quilt top finished, I spent a lot of time outside cleaning up from our long, long winter. Things outside are beginning to look civilized again and we've even got bulbs peeking up out of the ground--that is if I can keep the chickens from eating them! They have been starved for green stuff and now are eating everything in site. But they are giving me lots of nice brown eggs in return so I can't complain too much.
My mom got her birthday apron Wednesday. Happy Birthday mom! And she loved it! Her kitchen is a persimmon color so I had looked high and low for fabric to match it. And she said it did wonderfully. I also made her a batch of my now famous (I know I should have a bit more humility) brown and serve dinner rolls. Here's the recipe:
LE'S TWICE BAKED ROLLS
2 packages granular, or compressed yeast
1 cup water
1 teaspoon sugar
5 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups scalded milk (cooled)
10 cups sifted flour (about)
1/2 cup melted, cooled, shortening*
Sprinkle granular yeast over warm (110 degrees) water; or crumble compressed yeast over lukewarm (85 degrees) water.
Add 1 teaspoon sugar.*
Combine salt and 1/4 cup sugar in bowl; pour in milk. Stir to dissolve; cool to lukewarm, then add yeast mixture.*
Mix in 6 cups flour, then add shortening and about 4 more cups flour.*
Turn out on a lightly floured board; knead until smooth and satiny.*
Put dough in a greased bowl; then grease the top of the dough. Cover with a clean, damp towel; redampen occasionally. Let double in bulk in warm place (85 degrees; I use the top of my fridge.) After doubled, punch down.*
Knead again on floured board; divide into 4 parts. Cover with damp towel; let rest 20 min, then shape into 4 loaves, or 4-6 dozen rolls. (Also, see variations below. They don't all have to be rolls!)*
Let rise in a warm place (85 degrees)until 3/4 as high as regular rolls or loaf would be. (Otherwise, they fall when baked.)*
Bake pan rolls in a slow oven (275) for 40 minutes; bread: 75 min. Let set 20 min. in pans. Turn out and cool at room temp.*
Wrap in freezer paper (I use zip locks) and freeze for up to 3 months.*
TO SERVE: place rolls or bread, on an ungreased baking sheet, and brown in a very hot oven (about 450) for 7 minutes.
VARIATIONS:*
QUICK BUTTERHORN ROLLS: Roll dough into a 10 inch circle, 1/2 inch thick. Brush with melted butter; cut (like pie), into 12 pieces. Roll up each piece from wide end. Lay on well greased baking sheet, with tip underneath.*
INDIVIDUAL BUTTERFLY COFFEE CAKES: Roll dough into a 6x10 inch rectangle, 1/4 inch thick. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Roll like a jelly roll; cut into 1 inch slices. Place on a well greased baking sheet. Pinch in with forefinger and thumb to form butterfly. Press a toy wooden clothespin in the center to hold the dough into a butterfly shape while it bakes. (I make a little band of tin foil.) Bake, then remove holder.*
CINNAMON BREAD: Shape dough in a 6x10 inch rectangle, 1/2 inch thick. Brush with melted butter. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and sprinkle over dough. Roll up like a jelly roll; flatten ends with hand and turn under, pinching in place. Put into a well greased 5x9 inch loaf pan before baking.
The recipe is from a blog called Joy's noise. http://powerofone.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!4FE2CF1E2B2EB323!131.entry.
For those of you in NE Indiana, if you have nothing to do this Saturday, why not visit the Quilters Gathering at the Memorial Coliseum. Admission is only $10 after 12 noon. Not only is there a great quilt show but my favorites--Vendors! If DH and I weren't going to a Maple Syrup Festival, I would certainly be going.
Oh and before I forget Happy National Quilting Day tomorrow!
Till next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment