Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It may be spring in Indiana but it's still winter in Minnesota!

Here in NE Indiana spring has finally arrived! I thought I'd share a couple photos of some of the things that are making their appearance in our yard. This is called a trout lilly. It is growing all over at the back of our house along the river bank. They seem to like it moist with lots of organic matter. And along the bank we have tons of hardwood trees so there are lots of maple, oak and hickory leaves. We just let them lay which means we have no grass back there, but the trout lillies seem to love it.
Here's a little Jack in the Pulpit that I have planted in one of the many shade gardens we have. Lots of trees means lots of shade. He hasn't bloomed yet but he will soon. He really seems to like the spot he's in. When I first got him he was just one lonely little plant and now he's a nice mound!
We are so lucky to have flowers popping up, birds building nests and grass that needs mowing. My poor sister, Wendy and her family in Minnesota are still suffering from the winter doldrums. She sent me this picture of a strange ice "creature" that has latched onto their truck tire! I think that if you live up there where the winters can be so harsh, you have to be a very strong person. I don't know if I could do it.
Till next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment