Saturday, April 25, 2009

Thar's moles in them thar hills!

As I've mentioned before we live out in the country on a river. Which means we get a lot of critters that pass through, fly around or take up residence. Right now we've got moles, voles, gophers or some sort of other subterranean creature that is creating a virtual subway in our yard. Every day you can see me out there heel toeing it around the yard as I step on the upraised tunnels not only packing the ground back down to where it belongs but hoping to squash the little varmit that is digging it up. So far, no luck. I am being outsmarted by a creature that doesn't even see the light of day. If we still had cats perhaps they would catch them and Zudi the maltese is pretty worthless as a mole chaser, although she sure can send the chickens running! I saw this thing on the internet (don't you just love the internet? It's like having the library at your service 24/7) that is called the Rodenator. It is a propane/oxygen thingy and you stick this wand down in the tunnel, ignite and wham! the gopher or other subterranean creature is blown up! Well, not really blown up, supposedly the concussive force of the explosion kills the little critter. Ok, I guess I was right the first time, they're blown up. That seems a little excessive to me. I keep thinking that perhaps this mole is really just helping us out by aerating our yard and all it asks in return is a few nibbles off my plant's roots. I guess I'll just keep doing my little heel toe dance on the mounds and hope it gets tired of having to reopen them and move on. Till next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment