Monday, April 13, 2009

Weekend at Grandma's

I hope everyone had a nice Easter weekend. I spent my Saturday in the kitchen. Once again it was bread day.
I started off making 2 1/2 dozen brown and serve rolls for Sunday's dinner. They are so good. I have made this recipe dozens of times and they always turn out.
I also made up a batch of pitas. Here's a picture through the oven window so you can see how nice they puff up. They look like little pillows! I turned these all into pita chips which I love with roasted pepper hummus. Yum! I just cut up the pitas, spritz with some olive oil and sea salt. Put in a lightly oiled pan in a hot oven and bake away.
And to finish out the day, we had homemade pizza with sourdough crust. I used up all my starter for the crust so now I have a bowl sitting on the counter
getting nice and sour for another round of baking later this week. This time it will be sourdough. My hubby, metal man to you all, is a diabetic and I read that sourdough bread isn't suppose to raise blood sugar like regular white bread. Don't know if it's true or not, but we sure do like it toasted in the morning with butter and strawberry jam!
I used the time waiting for the breads to rise to work on a snowman BOM put out by Sandi at http://alegacyofstitches.blogspot.com/
This one, in case you hadn't guessed, is for January. A friend of mine, Hi Jeanine!, did a bluework snowman quilt several years ago and I have always wanted to do one since I saw her's. This is the beginning of mine.
As for our Easter, we had a nice quiet one at home. The local grandkids went visiting other relatives so it was just dear hubby and I.
Till next time......

1 comment:

  1. Hi Grandma Chicken!! I just found your blog and I'm loving it. Would you be kind enough to tell me where to find the recipe for the wheat brown and serve rolls??? I am off to explore the rest of your blog. Nice to "meet" you. :-)

    ReplyDelete